The obvious thing to do on a beach is go swimming, but if you’re anything like me and you don’t like cold water (cold is anything that is not a hot tub), but still want to have fun at the beach, here are some things you can do to entertain yourself.
1. Play Sand Volleyball – Sand Volleyball is my 100% most favorite thing in the world to do on a beach. It’s a great way to get exercise, meet new friends, and enjoy the outdoors.
2. Run – I’m not typically a runner, but there is something so zen about running on the beach. You’ve usually got a nice breeze, the waves crashing, and you can’t beat the feel of the sand underneath your toes.
3. Fishing/Crabbing – Like seafood? Catch it yourself. ‘Nuff said.
4. Bon Fire – You’ll want to make sure the beach you are visiting allows Bon Fires, but if they do, picture this. Nice big bon fire, friends/family hanging out, Bob Marley, and Smores. It’s a no brainer.
5. Frisbee – Frisbee is another great beach activity, and another way to make new friends. If you have a dog, this is a great way to make sure your dog gets weekly play.
6. Read – Every beach day deserves some attention directed towards the written words. In fact, new business idea–how about a library on the beach? Wait, does that exist anywhere? If so, I want to go there now.
7. Sandcastle Competition – See who can make the best sand castle, and give the winner a prize.
8. Sand Graves – Bury your younger brother/sister in the sand and threaten to leave them there. It’s mean, but so funny, right? J/K…don’t be mean. Just have fun burying each other.
9. Test Out Your Sunscreen – This isn’t necessarily a fun thing to do, but something everyone should do. Even if the sun is hiding behind clouds, wear sunscreen. Otherwise, you will be itching and wishing you were dead later.
10. Take Pictures – The beach is the perfect place for creative inspiration. Get jiggy with your creative side, and see if photography might be for you.
11. Yoga – If you’re into Eastern life, get out a mat, and practice your Yoga. The beach is the perfect place for Yoga.
12. Meditate – Getting away from the craziness of life is one of the main reasons to visit the beach. Delve deeper into your peaceful inner self by meditating at the beach. Just remember to find a quiet place away from kids burying their younger siblings in the sand.
13. Write – Not only is the beach a great place to take photos, but it’s also a great place to write. Consider poetry or journal writing.
14. Appreciate Sea Life – If you take the time to appreciate all things in the Ocean, you’re bound to discover some new fun critters. I challenge you to find a sea star, sand dollar, sea shell, or sea urchin.
15. Put On A Wet Suit And Surf – Surfing is probably the one activity that will get me off the shore, but I have to be in a wet suit. If you don’t know how to surf, make sure to take lessons, or you’ll just get beat up by the waves, and it won’t be fun.
16. Walk And Talk – Interested in getting to know someone better? What better way than to walk and talk on the beach?
17. Picnic – Trust me, you’re going to get hungry on a day at the beach. If you can BBQ, great. If you can’t pull out a BBQ, pack any favorite picnic food. Mine happens to be: fancy soda, french bread, salami, fancy cheese, fruits, and veggies. Nom nom nom.
18. Find A Seashell For Your Aquarium – I have a friend who gets a seashell from every places he visits and puts it in his salt water aquarium at home. How cool is that?
19. Make Goals – The beach is the perfect place to get clarity on life, reevaluate, relax, and set some new goals.
20. Take A Selfie – If you’re a social media nerd, then you obviously need to show everyone in the world that you’re at the best and hashtag the crap out of that Instagram photo.
What are the top things you like to do at the beach?