Came across this gem in my travel journal. It’s a quick read that really does highlight some of the best (and the “best”) things about Russia & Ukraine. I truly love these places.
1. Any of the following: borsch, pancakes with tvorog, syrok, Russian black bread, juice, Zhivchik.
2. Watching out for vomit piles.
3. Faberzhe eggs.
4. Tanning on the beaches of the Black Sea.
5. The Lavra and cool, dead, old bones.
7. Puzata Khata, best restaurant ever, and way cheap.
8. Tula, Russia and Leo Tolstoy’s estate.
9. Having time to read whatever I want. Interestingly enough, it ended up being Brothers Karamazov.
10. Big Mamma in Kiev.
11. Showering/bathing in the Black Sea when you don’t have an actual shower.
12. The sweet smells including–cigarette smoke, alcohol, dill, dirt, sweat, incense, salami and rain.
13. Ladies with beards…(LADIES…PLURAL…AS IN MORE THAN ONE).
14. Golden smiles. #teeth
15. Getting stared at all the time…probably for being pretty?!?!
16. Read Square.
17. Shauwarma’s on the street, oh baby, yum.
18. “Mexican food…” (ew).
19. Techno music playing everywhere (also, ew).
20. Close calls with death (aka Russian drivers).
21. Cheap Russian vodka (even though I don’t drink).
22. Listening to people talk quite openly about me, because they don’t think I understand Russian, and then politely informing them that some Americans can actually speak Russian quite fluently.
23. Enjoying the shock on their face after #22 happens.
24. Ice cream.
25. Worst internet access of life.
26. Protecting your place in line like you’re protecting your life.
27. Any sign that says smoking and drinking is prohibited. ha!
28. Grosses lifts/elevators of life.
29. Trying not to die while crossing the street.
30. Moscow & St. Pete’s prices vs. prices everywhere else in Russia and Ukraine.
Oh…the essence of one of my favorite places on earth!
For more about travel, check out Travel With Ashley.